Tantek suggested a one button push follow that people have come to love on social media. In fact I have been documenting dicoverability and following on Tumblr and it is amazing.
The problem is the firehose. Social media silos use proprietary data and algorithms to reduce the chronologocal feeds. Tumblr and facebook decide what I see.
On Twitter I could never follow the chrnologogical feed of the thousands I follow. A follow on Twitter is a h/t nothing more. Instead as a human I have to curate my feed using Tweetedeck into 37 different feeds (columns by hashtag).
On Slack, IRC, Telegram, we have channels.
What can be done for following and discovering of people? Can we follow people and not feeds while avoiding the firehose? Well bunch of ideas floating around chat:
- leveraging topical webrings
- creating h-card directories of people to follow on websites
- creating a public h-card directory
- encouraging the use of p-category with key topics/tag in an h-card.
- adding preffered feeds in your h-card.
- adding logic to social readers so if you follow someone and they have a feed the same name as a channel you get auto subscribed.
I get not liking feeds. I threw out my RSS feeds after a decade. It just got unmanageable, broken links, impoprted OPML files. So I started rebuiling feeds more my social reader. So much work. I got about half way through, my channels...and then stop...keep meaning to go back....but you know....
Grooming feeds, a crappy experience since 2004.